Helpline
Speak to a member of our Information Support Team
(Call-back service – 24h answer machine)

020 8973 0011

or email nurse@beatingbowelcancer.org

PLEASE NOTE THAT THE FORUM WILL CHANGE TO THE NEW CHARITY NAME, LOGO AND COLOURS FROM FIRST AUGUST 2018

Beating Bowel Cancer Community

Relatives and friends

Sophie

Staple left behind!

Hope you all had a lovely Christmas :x::x:

Basically I feel like this is really trivial but I've found recently that even routine appointment for my uncle make me SO anxious since a should be routine operation went so wrong :/ but basically after he had an operation at the beginning of Nov, the consultant took his staples out of his wound. It took some healing but it's there now. However the nurse that visits has noticed a staple has been left in and it's scabbed over. She doesn't want to take it out incase it's there for a reason. He had a follow up in march bt they've brought t forward to monday. Has anyone had experience with this? Would it just be a case of it being whipped out? Thanks! :x:

Bear G

Hi @Sophie
Leaving a staple in sounds unusual to me. It's could've been because some of the scarring hadn't healed well enough but I'm sure they'd have mentioned that to your uncle at the time.
I know what you mean about getting nervous about things given his experience but the way I'd suggest facing these appointments is the way I face my scans - there's no bad news, if they find something or have something that needs dealing with then I'd rather know about it now and get it sorted out. Not sure if that makes sense the way I've written it but I hope so.
Have you looked into any therapies to help you cope with all this? Things like mindfulness or meditation may be helpful. They help me!
Big hugs
Bear
:x::x:

Sophie

Thanks @Bear G ! I trust his consultant 100% so I'm sure he knows what he's doing. And my uncle was so out of if , if it was mentioned he probably wouldn't have remembered. The wound did have trouble healing so it probably was left behind for a reason. Yeah I know what you mean, although I've not actually thought about any of those things. I'm definitely going to look into them now. Thank you :x::x:

Bear G

It’s worth it @Sophie , it’s important you take good care of yourself while supporting your uncle.
Big hugs
Bear
:x::x:

Liam B

Hi @Sophie . I had my staples removed last November by my local nurse. Some of the stapling was a bit patchy, and the nurse considered leaving a few in place for a while longer, to be more certain of proper healing. However, she conferred with a colleague and they concluded that it was OK to remove them all. It turned out fine, but that's probably why your uncle had one left behind. Best to get it out once it's OK to do so, to avoid potential infection.

Sophie

Thanks @Liam B yeah I think that it was left behind purposely as his wound wasn't healing properly so sounds very similar to you. That's reassured me :x: