Helpline
Speak to a member of our Information Support Team
(Call-back service – 24h answer machine)

020 8973 0011

or email nurse@beatingbowelcancer.org

PLEASE NOTE THAT THE FORUM WILL CHANGE TO THE NEW CHARITY NAME, LOGO AND COLOURS FROM FIRST AUGUST 2018

Beating Bowel Cancer Community

Life with bowel cancer

jenwren

Linking of bag

Any tips on to stop pancaking.

Mum37

I have a extra disc that I put around the bag opening. I think adding some lubricant into the bag before you put it on helps but not tried it myself. I'm sure others will have suggestions too. :x::x:

Liriodendron345

Hello @jenwren, sorry to hear you are having this problem. Mine was sorted when my stoma nurse changed the type of bag to a convex one. If you haven’t had the stoma’s size checked recently that can also lead to pancaking. Basically I would suggest contacting your nurse; she/he may well suggest an extra disc as @Mum37 describes above. Good luck, Kim :x:

Robin

A friend suggested to put a small piece of cotton wool in my bag. It worked for me.

shazsilverwolf

@jenwren, when I first had my temporary stoma, it was fine, you could set your watch by it! Never had a single problem. Then it was switched to a permanent, and that when trouble started. Barely a day went past without a leak, usually caused by pancaking. Often during the night, I got so paranoid, I wouldn't go to stay out anywhere. This went on for months,and I tried every cure I saw suggested. Oil in the bag, some rolled up tissue, KY jelly- you name it, I tried it and none of them helped at all. I finally decided I would give a convex bag a try, so sent off for some samples. I think they sent me about a weeks worth- and instant cure! Literally, from the first bag I have not had the problem since, not a single leak or pancaking, in 6 months. Previously, I wouldn't have managed 6 days! This is a link to the pouches I'm using, I really highly recommend you give them a try.
www.charter.co.uk/...dence-natural-soft-convex-closed/
You can't get samples from the Charter website, but if you follow this link to the SALTS site, you can request some there.
www.salts.co.uk/en-gb/order-samples.aspx
Good Luck.