Helpline
Speak to a member of our Information Support Team
(Call-back service – 24h answer machine)

020 8973 0011

or email nurse@beatingbowelcancer.org
Beating Bowel Cancer Community

General Discussion

JAMESC.

The healing power of dogs

Des and I are great dog lovers and over our 40 year period of being partners we have owned 4 dogs 3 Scottish terriers and our latest dog ALFIE-BOE, {mini Doberman pinscher}
Going back a couple of months before des was diagnosed with cancer and the heart attack he had in the same week I had noticed how protective ALFIE-BOE had become towards DES he pined whenever Des left the room and had to know exactly where Des was at all times-even sitting outside the bathroom until he came out.
When we settled down for the night-watching television, reading or listening to music, ALFIE-BOE almost demanded to sit next to Des often indicating for me to let him close to Des- which I did willingly.
During these times ALFIE-BOE took to putting a paw on Deses hand and look him straight in the eye with great intensity he also seemed very interested in sniffing his hand with again great intensity also the bond between them both grew very strong and one night when I tried to sit next to Des , ALFIE-BOE jumped up on the settee and took the place where I had intended to sit.
I must admit looking back on all of this I am sorry I did not take more heed to what ALFIE-BOE was doing and perhaps even trying to let me know something with Des was certainly causing him to act in such a protective and almost hyper manner.
i always knew dogs were wonderful insightful animals i will never ignore the actions of ALFIE-BOE again especially in regards to his interactions with Des.
Des has indicated that ALFIE-BOE is going to be vital healing force during and after both his radiation and follow on operation-and i know this will be the case.

charleyb

@Baxter2 He’s doing well thankyou!! Was due to go back on chemo today but a week delay due to my little one getting chicken ? pox last weekend, the unit are being over cautious ( he had pox as a child so not really a risk!!)
He would much rather be at the chemo unit than entertaining a spotty 3 yr old ha
:x::x:

Baxter2

@charleyb

That’s good to hear but not so good nursing a little one with chickenpox!! I expect your other bambino will get it too! Hard going for you looking after everyone and those beautiful kittens of yours!

Hope they don’t get it too bad and chemo can start again!

Lots of love,

K????❤️

charleyb

It’s strange wanting chemo isn’t it! But we are desperate to get back to it now, worrying being off it so long!
Yes I kinda want the smallest one to get it, both get it out of the way when little! :x::x::x:

Baxter2

@charleyb

Chemo? I reckon I’m addicted to the stuff! I was very jittery when off it for 6 months (for surgeries) and relieved to be back on it again!

Kxx

Gypsy

Although it has taken him quite a while, I really did think this morning that Peanuts has now pretty much perfected his body-less Shetland pony impression!

Baxter2

Haha @Gypsy! Just a big cuddly head on top of little legs! He’s gorgeous! :x::x::x:

KatieR

Our ( my )Little Dog Disney has been doing just as you described She is following my husband around like a shadow Sitting on his knee or head on the back of the sofa Fretting when he goes out She will only eat if her food is by where he is sitting and wants him to feed her
This is all most unusual and has only started since Christmas ....when the haemorrhoid was diagnosed .......

Gypsy

Katy's other obsession, along with the chasing of shadows, is the croft cat, Simba. If he is around in the morning, she gets as close to him as she possible can and fixes him with her stare (one blue eye, one brown)! Simba is very tolerant of it and has the complete upper paw at all times! He never ever runs away from her and if he feels it is too much he just, cuffs her! If he moves, Katy follows closely behind, nose to tail but she has never ever snapped at him or done anything like that. It is so comical to watch them and hope that the photo gives some idea of that.
Animals can brighten the day so much, I think.

Baxter2

Haha! Love this @Gypsy ! :x::x::x::x::x::x:

DianeS

Aaaaaaah so lovely @Gypsy it has alwYs amazed me how cats and dogs are wary of each other from such an early age. They look best pals in the photo :x::x::x::x::x:

lizziejane

Hi all, if we are sharing pictures here are my two saviours, Betty and Meg. They never leave my side and are a great comfort when I am not feeling too strong. Betty (the Jack Russell) seems very aware that I’m not great at the moment (my surgery is this Wednesday, removal of the sigmoid colon and gallbladder) and never leaves my side. I would be lost without them. Love to you all, Lisa xxx

Baxter2

Good morning @lizziejane

Your fur babies are gorgeous! Like you, mine were always by my side throughout this horrible ordeal (sadly we lost one to pancreatic cancer recently)

I just wanted to wish you all the very best for your surgery on Wednesday! How lovely will it be to wake up afterwards knowing the blighter is in the bin!! (Or at least winging its way to the pathology lab!)

Sending lots of love and best wishes,

K????❤️

Gypsy

Lovely day and no snow in the far north of Scotland!
Katy enjoyed a lochs and forest walk today

belinda66

Lovely dogs @lizziejane: they look very soulful.

KatieR

I think I have mastered putting a photo on here
This is Disney I was going down the ‘never again no more dogs ‘
Untill I saw this little face on the rescue site . .

Gypsy

Who could resist.....!

Baxter2

Ooh, what a gorgeous little dog @KatieR!

K💚💙💜💛❤️

kw1983

Ah what a beauty @KatieR too cute 😊 :x:

KatieR

She is too cute ....and a right little monkey . She does not like strangers touching her She eats pens and plastic pegs ,Her poos were all colours of the rainbow ! Not so much now Ive trained her to fetch them to me and I give her a dog chew She likes chewing socks up- the stinkier the better and she her latest hobby isto empty all the soil out of the big pots on the decking !
Getting back to the thread ....She loves John ....but its me that she follows about and me she snuggles up to in an evening watching Tv .......since Christmas however...she has become very intense about John ,following him about snuggling up to him on the sofa and licking his face
She watches the door when he goes out and even if he is only out for two minutes she welcomes him back like its been months
This is all new behaviour...does she know that he is ill ? I think she does and I think she knew before we did
I think animals have a lot of senses that we dont understand...not long ago I was reading about the elephants who headed for higher ground hours before the Boxing Day Tsunami and nothing that their keepers did could stop them ?
Anyway Shes making a big fuss of John and he is loving the cuddles Not that he would admit it ...when he needs to lie down she is straight there snuggling up to him . .
Cath. :x::x:

Gypsy

She sounds brilliant! They do so much to help us.:x: