Helpline
Speak to a member of our Information Support Team
(Call-back service – 24h answer machine)

020 8973 0011

or email nurse@beatingbowelcancer.org

PLEASE NOTE THAT THE FORUM WILL CHANGE TO THE NEW CHARITY NAME, LOGO AND COLOURS FROM FIRST AUGUST 2018

Beating Bowel Cancer Community

Life with bowel cancer

tonibates1

Steves results are in!!!!!!!!!!!!

Hey everyone, Steve got his results from his PET scan today and YAYYYYYYYYYYYYYY its great news! He has one small lesion on his lung left (remember them saying ONE YEAR AGO that he had multiple on his lungs and liver and he was diagnosed with Stage 4 Advanced) - well, this goes to show that things can work out for the better. He is getting his REVERSAL OPERATION on 26th January then maintenance chemo from then on. How cool is this!!! He can sleep well tonight for the first time in ages, bless him.
We wanted to share our wonderful news with you all and to once again thank you all from the bottom of our hearts for all your kindness and support. We are heading in the right direction and we aren't afraid of anything anymore. Together we will beat this thing.............
Love to you all Old and new forumers.............. bring on 2018..
Toni :x::x::x::x::x::x::x::x::x::x::x::x::x::x::x::x::x::x::x::x::x::x:

DianeS

I just love news like this @tonibates1. So so happy for you both. Have read your post twice and smiled both times, just love it :x::x::x::x::x:

Alan C

@tonibates1 lovely news, wishing you both a happy new year :)

OFJ

Brilliant news, so pleased for you both, doing a happy dance here @tonibates1 :) :x::x::x:

Tinkletot

wow wow wow fantastic news so pleased for u both happy 2018 :x::x:

LynneW

Great news @tonibates1. Always wonderful to hear good news. My husband is on the same chemo, he has had four cycles so far. His first scan results today, shows no change or a very slight improvement? The Oncologist made both statements. Hopefully there will be a better reduction after the next scan! Perhaps we expected a bit too much after only four treatments! You have given me hope again after reading your husband’s results, thank you! :x::x::x:

Buzylizzy
Quote from @tonibates1:
@Buzylizzy Hello, Steve on Cetuximab, irinotrecan and folfori. He has had 16 cycles and picc line removed in October due to infection, so had been on a break since October 15 and all still clear. (apart from tiny lesion on lung). He would have treatment fortnightly and then have the 'pump' to take home attached for 48 hours after each session. The side effects were horrendous at times, but with the tips from everyone on here, he managed them. (mostly). Does this help??

Thanks for the reply @tonibates1. I've been off chemo since June as I had HIPEC for ovarian mets. Unfortunately it meant that my lung mets grew but they're still really small and the surgery was worth that risk. I'll have to go back on chemo again soon so just wondered what had worked for your hubby with the lung mets. It's the same chemo I was on previously so will probably have that again. Totally agree that the side effects are tough! :x::x:

Globerry

Hi @tonibates1 thanks for sharing your really positive news.I am so happy for you :x::x:

jules75

Good to hear your positive news x.

Sasa

Hi @tonibates1 good to hear this news - please keep the updates coming we all need to hear these wonderful outcomes. I’m smiling from ear to ear ???

tonibates1
Quote from @LynneW:
Great news @tonibates1. Always wonderful to hear good news. My husband is on the same chemo, he has had four cycles so far. His first scan results today, shows no change or a very slight improvement? The Oncologist made both statements. Hopefully there will be a better reduction after the next scan! Perhaps we expected a bit too much after only four treatments! You have given me hope again after reading your husband’s results, thank you!

@LynneW Hey Lynne, you sound in a very similar situation to ours in the early stages. I know it is our job to keep the positivity going and with all the support here, does make it manageable. Just remember there is always something new just around the corner. Has your hubby got a stoma??? We can give you excellent tips for helping if he has. Are you local to Kent?? :x::x::x::x::x::x::x::x::x::x::x:

springer michelle

Wonderful news and such a help to others on their journeys. I'm so pleased for you both, well done, and make the most of everything now :x::x:

LynneW

Hi @tonibates1, the something new around the corner we are waiting for. But where is the blinking corner??? Still, we have done very well, my husband has been in the system 8 yrs in June. I think he has been remarkable really!

He didn’t have a stoma, in fact that was one of his fears. If he has the HIPEC, I think it is a sure thing that he will need one, even if temporary! So keep those tips ready for us!

We live in Cardiff, that is why we had such a delay for chemo! Waiting for Funding! Eight months wait from March until November! He is tolerating the Folfiri much better than the Capox, at least at the moment!. No.5 coming up Friday and then another 7 to go. I am just praying that they have a good result on the next scan.

Once again, thanks for your reply. You are correct about the help and encouragement from all on this site.

All the best to you and your husband, with the very best of luck for the 26th of January. :x::x::x:

tonibates1
Quote from @LynneW:
Hi @tonibates1, the something new around the corner we are waiting for. But where is the blinking corner??? Still, we have done very well, my husband has been in the system 8 yrs in June. I think he has been remarkable really!

He didn’t have a stoma, in fact that was one of his fears. If he has the HIPEC, I think it is a sure thing that he will need one, even if temporary! So keep those tips ready for us!

We live in Cardiff, that is why we had such a delay for chemo! Waiting for Funding! Eight months wait from March until November! He is tolerating the Folfiri much better than the Capox, at least at the moment!. No.5 coming up Friday and then another 7 to go. I am just praying that they have a good result on the next scan.

Once again, thanks for your reply. You are correct about the help and encouragement from all on this site.

All the best to you and your husband, with the very best of luck for the 26th of January.

@LynneW Morning Lynne. Cardiffs not too far away, perhaps we can meet for coffee in the summer!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Take care and big hugs. :x::x::x::x::x::x::x::x::x:

LynneW

Hi @tonibates1 , Roll on the Summer. It is so windy and horrible at the moment, I hate the winter! I often say that I am like a reptile, I need to be kept at a constant 65 degrees, ha, ha!

Coffee sounds good, perhaps we could meet half way???

Look after yourself too! :x::x::x:

tonibates1

@LynneW Hello again, just been reading your profile to Steve, OMG, what a journey you have been on!! Talk about POSTCODE LOTTERY!!!. It is disgusting how you have had to fight for everything, absolutely disgusting. Taking into account everything you have faced, we MUST consider ourselves extremely lucky. Steve has a wonderful oncologist, and his pathway has taken a year to get to where we are today. The chemo in the early stages was the most horrendous part (along with his stoma), but at least it saved his life. You can always use our address if it helps!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Please stay in touch. Toni :x::x::x::x::x::x::x::x::x::x::x::x::x::x::x::x::x:

LynneW

That is very kind of you @tonibates1. When Peter was first diagnosed in 2010 everything went really well, except for the idiot GP. Peter was extremely ill when he collapsed, then the surgery and then the Chemo, 1, 2, 3! Great! Except for the stroke! When it returned in 2013 again, every thing went very smoothly. Except for the dreadful nursing, that is another story. BUT this year has been a total disaster, we couldn’t believe the changes! Luckily, I am an ex-nurse and my husband is a retired Solicitor. Between us we knew what treatment and procedures were necessary. It was so stressful, to be honest I don’t know how we are still together, ha, ha!!! Perhaps love has something to do with it!!! But I did feel like giving him a poke on a few occasions!

Steve had Folfiri too? So it affected him badly? At the moment it isn’t affecting Peter much, just tiredness really. It makes me wonder if it is working? Another four and another scan, then we should know?

As you said POSTCODE LOTTERY, but living in Wales is now worse than that! It is even difficult to obtain a PET Scan. How can they say that someone like Peter doesn’t meet the criteria??? We couldn’t believe it!

Still here though Toni, and we mean to have many years more yet! Peter has been great through all of this really. We make a pretty good team!

Which hospital do you use? Thinking of you on your journey. Lynne :x::x::x:

tonibates1

@LynneW Hello my lovely, our oncologist is based at William Harvey hospital in Ashford, but we go to Canterbury for the chemo sessions. 7 hours every fortnight and what a wonderful team they are! honestly they are magnificent. They allow me to stay with him and at times even our daughter has joined us. Everyone so lovely and keep us in tea and biscuits, (and cake). They have been phoning Steve to see when he is returning as he has been on a break since October, they actually miss him!!!! Its funny how you said they treated Peter for colic at first, because when Steve first had pains in his stomach, they thought it was trapped wind and piles. But once the camera went up, they were straight on it and he has never looked back. Yes the chemo was terrible in the early days,. my god, he had mouth ulcers like grapes, skin breaking and bleeding, itchy skin (cetuximab), loss of weight, hair and nails - you name it he experienced it. But with all the help from here, he managed to survive and you should see his hair now!!! Hes got more than he had before he was diagnosed!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! We have been married for 30 years and as you said, dont know how we got through it - purely love and perseverance, commitment and fight. (and this wonderful forum of course). I am really enjoying talking to you, so lets stay in touch. Keep hoping and keep smiling. :x::x::x::x::x::x::x::x::x::x::x::x:

Baxter2

Just brilliant news @tonibates1

K ????❤️