Helpline
Speak to a member of our Information Support Team
(Call-back service – 24h answer machine)

020 8973 0011

or email nurse@beatingbowelcancer.org
Beating Bowel Cancer Community

Younger people with bowel cancer

at2017

People with young kids

2nd question of the night sorry!

I am due to have my op on 2nd Jan, not sure whether it's open on keyhole, will find out on the 28th.

I'm just trying to plan ahead as much as possible

I have twins who will turn 2 the week I'm in hosp (and a 4 yr old), so my job as a mum is very much hands on as they are still in cots, can't come down the stairs etc. I wanted to find out from other parents of little ones, how long before normal service commenced? I'm more worried about the recovery and logistics of my kids than I am about the surgery!

Thanks in advance

Mum37

Hello @at2017 Welcome to the forum. I have a 1yr old who was born 9 weeks prem when I had my operation last year. He came out of hospital just a few days before I started chemo. They said no heavy lifting or driving 8 weeks after op but looking after a baby would have been impossible without my wonderful husband, family and friends helping out. Have you heard of home start, I'm not sure what age they go up to but worth investigating. I also get help with cleaning etc from MacMillan buddies. If you have a cns you could ask her for info on childcare. Hope your meeting with consultant and op in Jan goes well. Keep us posted on the forum, there are lots of positive and inspirational people on the site and a good place to express how you are feeling. :x::x:

Baxter2

Gosh, this must be quite daunting for you @at2017!

The information from @Mum37 sounds promising so hopefully you can arrange support for your recovery. Not long to wait now!

Sending you all my very best wishes,

K ???❤️?

at2017

Thank you for your reply.
8 weeks???? Blimey! I best get a rota started now!! My hubby goes to work at 4am so it's the morning I'm stuck with. I don't think homestart operate in my area but will look in to it, and will call my nurse and see what she has to offer. Someone coming to clean sounds amazing!!
CT scan was done today so that's another appointment ticked offf the list which means I'm one step closer to getting sorted xx

Quote from @Mum37:
Hello @at2017 Welcome to the forum. I have a 1yr old who was born 9 weeks prem when I had my operation last year. He came out of hospital just a few days before I started chemo. They said no heavy lifting or driving 8 weeks after op but looking after a baby would have been impossible without my wonderful husband, family and friends helping out. Have you heard of home start, I'm not sure what age they go up to but worth investigating. I also get help with cleaning etc from MacMillan buddies. If you have a cns you could ask her for info on childcare. Hope your meeting with consultant and op in Jan goes well. Keep us posted on the forum, there are lots of positive and inspirational people on the site and a good place to express how you are feeling.

at2017

Yes I've only ever been away from the boys for 1 night so my anxiety is through the roof!
They've been a blessing during this waiting around stage though as I haven't had too much of a chance to sit around and dwell on it all. With toddler twins wrecking your home every 3 seconds there's no opportunity to mope around!!

I'm sure we'll find a way to muddle through the recovery.

Xx

Quote from @Baxter2:
Gosh, this must be quite daunting for you @at2017!

The information from @Mum37 sounds promising so hopefully you can arrange support for your recovery. Not long to wait now!

Sending you all my very best wishes,

K ???❤️?

LynneW

In Wales Homestart can assist families with children up to the age of five! I am afraid that I I don’t know if it even exists here now? I was part of it many, many years ago. It was a great way to help families with problems of many kinds! It was a volunteer programme then! Hope it is around to help! :x::x::x:

Claireb1978

Hi @at2017
I really feel for you - it’s a terribly anxious time. I hope your scan went ok.
I had a 2 week wait after diagnosis till the operation to remove my blocked sigmoid colon. I just ate soup and found standing on my head alleviated the pain! Also I didn’t scrimp on the painkillers but avoided codeine as it makes you (more) constipated.
I had a 3 yr and 6yr old and also a 14month old who I was breastfeeding so I had to try and wean her off that too. I had the operation laperoscopically and they opened up my old c-section scar too. I was in hospital for 5days and when I got out didnt lift heavy things for 6weeks. I slept a lot for the first week out of hospital and did feel quite weak but I felt pretty good after about 3 weeks.
I had loads of help from my mum and my partner got time off work too. Good luck with it all. I hope it’s keyhole, if it’s not then you’ll have to factor in a few more weeks recovery. :x::x::x: