Helpline
Speak to a member of our Information Support Team
(Call-back service – 24h answer machine)

020 8973 0011

or email nurse@beatingbowelcancer.org
Beating Bowel Cancer Community

Stage 4 bowel cancer

LABluebell

Not the day we planned

This morning- All packed and ready to head back to blighty for Christmas with the grandsons after a rough few weeks adjusting to the fact of the progression with the lung mets. Just the oncologist appointment at midday to get through at which we expected to plan for a new chemo regime in January before catching the ferry tomorrow....

This evening - Trip cancelled - she ordered an emergency scan because of the symptoms Alan has been experienced which revealed 2 brain mets☹️.
A bit shellshocked tonight. Left him in hospital on IV fluids and steroids ahead of meeting with the radiotherapist tomorrow.

The best laid plans eh?

Swan

It s a sad sort of post @LABluebell. BUT the care Alan is getting sounds far far superior to what we experienced here in Nort West UK. I'm wishing you some Christmas magic and peace and sending my love and hugs as always. :x::x:

Lizalou

So sorry that your plans for Christmas were upset. But Plan B sounds special in a very different way. I am impressed with the home care plan and relieved that your family can visit at short notice so I hope you all have a lovely peaceful time together.
Hugs from me too :x::x:

Trinity

Sending love hugs and strength to you Alan & the family :x::x:

LynneW

HI @LABluebell, so glad that you have your family with you. Thinking of you all over the Christmas time. You are right, I will go and give my husband a special hug now! 😘 :x::x::x:

LABluebell

To all of you wonderful folk coping with so much and holding it all together - I hope you had a good Christmas.
It was a strange and surreal time with Alan in his hospital bay in the kitchen but a Christmas filled with love and family and he was 'in it'. My son and my daughter and grandsons gave him lots to think about and share.
He completed his radiotherapy on 27 December and the ambulance crews who stretchered him there and back were brilliant.
His steroid medication was reduced but unfortunately has had to be reinstated at full dose. It seems there are more mets than at first thought but much to the surprise of our family and friends he is not completely gaga!
We are in a holding pattern with 3-4 nurses' visits a day until a review on 9 January and I just don't let myself think more than a few hours' ahead.
I don't quite know how I would have coped without the support and care and concern of you BBC superheroes.
Thank you from the bottom of my heart.
Wishing you all good times ahead.
:x::x::x:

Clancy

@LABluebell, you are welcome, and thank you for all your help and advice too. Love, health and happiness to you and yours.:x::x:

Bear G

We all support one another @LABluebell and we’re all here for you and Alan
Fingers crossed for the review on the 9th
Big hugs
Bear
:x::x:

DianeS

So sad to read your update @LABluebell, I will be thinking of you both and keeping my fingers crossed for your appointment on 9th. Lots of love to you and your family :x::x::x::x:

Baxter2

@LABluebell

You are both such BBC superheroes yourselves! It sounds like you all worked together to ensure the festive season was as good as it could possibly be for you all. Sending all my love and very best wishes,

Karen 💚💛💜💙❤️

GD1962

Hello @LABluebell

Sorry to read your news and will be hoping and praying all goes well for Alan's review on 9th January.

Hugs and positive healing thoughts :x::x::x:

angepange

@LABluebell , I’m sorry to read this thread. I really hope something positive comes of Alan’s review . God bless . :x::x::x:

Alwyn

Hi @LABluebell so glad Alan was able to share your Christmas. That has to have helped his sense of well being. I hope the review provides further support and advice. My thoughts are with you all. :x::x::x:

Baxter2

Just wanted to let you know I’m thinking of you and Alan @LABluebell and hoping things are ok?

Lots of love, strength and hugs,

Karen ❤️💛💙💜💚

LABluebell

@Baxter2 Thank you for asking. We're gently plodding on.

Alan continues on hospital at home care in his little hospital bay in the kitchen.

He's receiving excellent care from the nursing team and our doctor who strive to make sure that he is as comfortable as possible and provide every assistance to make it easy for me to care for him. We're currently struggling with transfers from sitting to standing position but an electrical device is being delivered tomorrow to try and solve that one!

He's very weak and sleeps a great deal but has no pain for which I'm very grateful.

I have a bed on the sofa so that I'm close by in the night - he wakes every 3/4 hours and needs
a drink /meds /company so I'm a bit short on a decent night's sleep. Other than that we're doing OK.

I hope everyone has a good and positive week ahed.

:x::x::x::x:

Baxter2

I’m glad to hear that Alan is receiving the very best care at home @LABluebell. I’d say that’s what most of us would all wish for ourselves if were possible.

It’s great that your doctor and the hospital at home team are supporting you both so well. The fact that Alan doesn’t appear to be suffering pain must be so comforting for you. You’re doing a brilliant job that’s for sure and I have nothing but admiration for you.

Take care of yourself as much as you can will you?

Sending loads of love, strength and a massive hug,

Karen 💚💜💙💛❤️

Lizalou

Thinking of you both @LABluebell , sending love and prayers. :x::x:

Bear G

Thank you for letting us know @LABluebell
Your friends here are all thinking of you. Please give Alan a gentle hug from us.
:x::x:

Rach

@LABluebell thinking of you both :x::x::x:

jinnyp

@LABluebell just wanted to say that I am thinking of you and Alan :x::x::x:

Mandy

You are one amazing woman sending love and prayers :x::x::x: