Helpline
Speak to a member of our Information Support Team
(Call-back service – 24h answer machine)

020 8973 0011

or email nurse@beatingbowelcancer.org
Beating Bowel Cancer Community

Raising Awareness

RosemaryA

Were you diagnosed with bowel cancer in your 50s?

If so, the comms team at Beating Bowel Cancer would like to hear from you. We have been campaigning since January on the issue of the bowel screening age, which is 50 in Scotland, in line with international recommendations, but 60 in England, Wales and Northern Ireland.
We're about to launch a new assault and are looking for forum members diagnosed in their 50s, who would be happy to feature in our social media campaign. We'd need a quick quote and a photograph and would identify you by first name only.
Please help if you can: notwithstanding the numbers of younger forum members affected by the disease, reducing the screening age (and getting people to do the flipping test!) is one of the key things we can do to secure early diagnosis and hence successful treatment.
Please message me or email press@beatingbowelcancer.org

Thank you

Rosemary, Interim Head of Comms

Catherine Blakeney

I’m happy to help diagnosed age 55 stage 3 t4n1m0

SariDaffs

Hi @RosemaryA
I would be very happy to help with the campaign. Diagnosed in June age 56, T3, N1. You can see my biog, but am very happy to write more and send a photo.

Thank you for this

Sarah

RosemaryA

Wow - @SariDaffs @Catherine Blakeney @DianeS @springer michelle @Stillme @Swan @jinnyp @Bridget55 @Lawsey @Lizalou and @Tiffany (hope that's everyone!)
Fantastic response, thank you!
We'll put together a few words on each of you based on the info in this thread and biogs and come back to you if we need more information. If you haven't already done so, please do ping over a phto to press@beatingbowelcancer.org. If you're a little camera shy (mentioning no names!) and would prefer to supply words only, that's fine too. Per comments yesterday, the principal purpose of this is to maintain momentum for the campaign via social media but we may also use comments in other ways. If we are using your name (first name only) or otherwise identifying you, we'll ask in advance.
Again, thank you :x::x:

Meezermum

Hi @RosemaryA if you need any more names then happy to help

Lizalou

Thanks for organising this @RosemaryA

I will attempt to send a photo, no problems with you using one, just technical issues!

Stillme
Quote from @RosemaryA:
Wow - @SariDaffs @Catherine Blakeney @DianeS @springer michelle @Stillme @Swan @jinnyp @Bridget55 @Lawsey @Lizalou and @Tiffany (hope that's everyone!)
Fantastic response, thank you!
We'll put together a few words on each of you based on the info in this thread and biogs and come back to you if we need more information. If you haven't already done so, please do ping over a phto to press@beatingbowelcancer.org. If you're a little camera shy (mentioning no names!) and would prefer to supply words only, that's fine too. Per comments yesterday, the principal purpose of this is to maintain momentum for the campaign via social media but we may also use comments in other ways. If we are using your name (first name only) or otherwise identifying you, we'll ask in advance.
Again, thank you

Hi @RosemaryA - could you just let me know how soon you need the photo which I am happy to send but working at the moment until later this afternoon :x:

EmilyS

Hi all,

Many thanks for your all of your above responses.

Further to Rosemary's post, if anyone would be happy to speak to local media (including radio) about this please do also let us know via press@beatingbowelcancer.org, including where you are based.

Thanks again!

itfc1959

Hi I’d be up for all of that. Diagnosed at 55 at a rolled-out local screening initiative, without which ch, etc.

DianeS

Photo sent as requested, great support form everyone, amazing lovely people ♥️♥️♥️♥️

Bear G

Great to see so much support for this campaign. I was diagnosed aged 49 with advanced disease so am not suitable for this campaign but at least I help illustrate that it can affect all ages.
looking forward to seeing this in full swing!
:x::x:

chris61

Hi @RosemaryA . Happy to participate in the campaign. Will send you an email.

tom1951

i was 65 when i was told i have bowel cancer but could have been told sooner if i did the test at home like a lot of people i know i never even looked at the test but my wife got a test 2 days after her 60th birthday and i told her to do it but her came back all good

Dan-888

I'm probably reading this too late to be of any help @RosemaryA ?
I was also in my 50's when diagnosed (cT3N1M0) and would most definitely wish the standard screening age trigger to be the same as for Scotland.
However I think the screening method should be changed to another which is known to be more effective. And less off putting then collecting poo which most have an aversion to.
In my instance where my tumour may have been there two years before my diagnosis aged 54, screening at 50 exactly might have missed it out, dependent on the method.
A sigmoidoscopy or colonoscopy would have seen the polyp(s) and been able to remove them and test for any which have started to become cancerous.
My local hospital's Cancer Support has a Christmas dinner tonight so I won't be able to do anything until this weekend, if that's not too late?
@EmilyS ; I'm comfortable addressing local media if that is still required? Happy to email press@beatingbowelcancer.org to check as well.

RosemaryA

I'm blown away by the support here - thank you so much to all! We are focused on getting the press release out today: I will post a link as soon as it's on our website so you have a more complete picture of the case we're presenting. All your stories will help keep the momentum going; there's no fixed deadline and @EmilyS or I will be in touch with every one of you wonderful people. ♥️ Let's do this!

springer michelle

Well done. We also have photos of us of small groups where we get together and help each other :x:

CalmOnTheOutside

@RosemaryA I was diagnosed about 5 months ago, age 52 (3 days before my birthday actually!). Was very fit with zero prior illness, but it was still stage 3, very happy to help out in this way.

Stillme

I have sent my photo over and also am happy to speak on local radio - I had already intended once I have had my surgery and stoma to contact my local newspapers to see if they are interested in my story to try and raise awareness of the important of early diagnosis and to try and remove some of the stigma around having a stoma so am happy to help with anything that could benefit. Stoma Stigma - quite a good headline!! :x::x:

Catherine Blakeney

@RosemaryA you should have all the info and my staging in my profile along with my photo if you need any more info give me a shout :x::x:

SariDaffs

Thanks @RosemaryA, I have just sent you an email with a better biog and picture.