Helpline
Speak to a member of our Information Support Team
(Call-back service – 24h answer machine)

020 8973 0011

or email nurse@beatingbowelcancer.org
Beating Bowel Cancer Community

Bowel cancer treatment and side effects

Afraidboy

Radiation proctitis

Has anyone else had Radiation proctitis while receiving daily radiation? This is making my life hell as needing an urge to go toilet non stop for about 8 hours a time after a bowel movement. They have given me steroids but this is not working and I've lost so much sleep/energy I don't want to continue.

Afraidboy

Hello all, I tried the natural yogurt on the burns and it's working like a treat, thank you so much! Still got a long way to go but that has helped in a big way. Just got to sort out this urging to go to the toilet eight hours a day, the nurse said "it's the healing process" I said, "well I have had this for five weeks now so I can't take no more!". I just got to wait a few weeks to see if this flares down :x:

deviem

Hi everyone..I finished radiation treatment (7 weeks) just before xmas.I then went abroad for a 2 week break..i felt completely fine and well with no problems whatso ever..but these last couple of days I have been feeling slightly nauseous and am having mild stabbing pains in my abdomen..a week ago I passed what looked like fleshy tissue and wonder whether this could be the tumour? I am due an mri and ct scan jan 23rd ..:x::x:

charleyb

My husband passed some strange white stuff and lots of secretions after radio @deviem his tumour was obliterated to just scar tissue. Wishing you well for your scans :x::x:

Afraidboy
Quote from @charleyb:
My husband passed some strange white stuff and lots of secretions after radio @deviem his tumour was obliterated to just scar tissue. Wishing you well for your scans

Thank you. Yeah I've passed loads of white stuff it's like mucus but not sure if it's from the tumor or not, hope your husband is keeping well and we will get through it :x:

Afraidboy
Quote from @deviem:
Hi everyone..I finished radiation treatment (7 weeks) just before xmas.I then went abroad for a 2 week break..i felt completely fine and well with no problems whatso ever..but these last couple of days I have been feeling slightly nauseous and am having mild stabbing pains in my abdomen..a week ago I passed what looked like fleshy tissue and wonder whether this could be the tumour? I am due an mri and ct scan jan 23rd ..

Fingers crossed its your body fighting it off - My scan is end of January but in the meantime I'm not thinking about it and trying to act as normal as possible. How long you had the mild stabbing pains for? Have you spoken to your oncologist? :x:

deviem

a couple of days..I spoke to my daughter and sshe feels, like you,that its my body fighting it...have been meat free for months but had pork a few days ago! so need to go back to my stricter diet regime lol :x::x:

Afraidboy
Quote from @deviem:
a couple of days..I spoke to my daughter and sshe feels, like you,that its my body fighting it...have been meat free for months but had pork a few days ago! so need to go back to my stricter diet regime lol

I just eat as normal lol, get a few veg a week but I enjoy my fry ups etc, I'm trying to give up smoking but that's not happening yet it's too hard but have slightly cut down :x:

jinnyp

Have you tried vaping @Afraidboy - I have almost given up but can’t take the last step!!! Thinking about trying it ? :x:

Afraidboy
Quote from @jinnyp:
Have you tried vaping @Afraidboy - I have almost given up but can’t take the last step!!! Thinking about trying it ?

I've tried vaping before but didn't work for me, I TQM to be a heavy smoker about 40 if not more a day before, I'm on about 14/15 now so much better but a lot more to go :x:

Baxter2

Well done to you both for your efforts to give up smoking @jinnyp and @Afraidboy!

Keep at it and you will succeed!

Lots of love,

K ????❤️

Afraidboy
Quote from @Baxter2:
Well done to you both for your efforts to give up smoking @jinnyp and @Afraidboy!

Keep at it and you will succeed!

Lots of love,

K ????❤️

Thank you :x:

jinnyp

Thank you @Baxter2 - got to try!! Going to look into those vapes!! :x::x:

Afraidboy
Quote from @jinnyp:
Thank you @Baxter2 - got to try!! Going to look into those vapes!!

I tried to cut down to 10 today but really can't do it, I have been smoking since I was 12, how many roughly do you smoke a day? :x:

Baxter2

I’m a non smoker @Afraidboy but I do feel for you guys trying to stop. It’s highly addictive but many have succeeded with the vapes I believe. Worth a try?

K????❤️

Afraidboy

Yeah it's worth a try but you also hear a lot about vapes that yet not been proven to be healthier in the long run, so not sure if they are both as bad as each other if that sorta makes sense lol. Some days I smoke really well like about 11, other days more.. But at least it's not like 40 or more anymore. My dad died young at 44 when I was 11 due to smoking so I should start thinking about it :x:

Baxter2

Gosh @Afraidboy that’s so young and a great incentive for you to stop if ever there was one! I’m sorry you lost your dad at such a young age. That must have been so awful for you ?

K ????❤️

jinnyp
Quote from @Afraidboy:
I tried to cut down to 10 today but really can't do it, I have been smoking since I was 12, how many roughly do you smoke a day?

I also started when I was very young, around 11 or 12!! Smoked 40ish a day when I was nursing but had to give up when I had ivf and have been on and off since then. Stopped when my sister died but whenever i’m stressed I pick it up again and there has been a lot over the past 5 years.
Now I only have 2 or 3 most days but I would like to stop - my dad has beaten bowel cancer and now has incurable lung cancer associated with smoking which will kill him!
Going to look into it - maybe try the really low ones. :x:

Sean

ah mate, @Afraidboy has this cleared up for you? I suffered massively with similar after radiotherapy. Pure HELL! Low residue diet was the trick, in the end...

Afraidboy
Quote from @Sean:
ah mate, @Afraidboy has this cleared up for you? I suffered massively with similar after radiotherapy. Pure HELL! Low residue diet was the trick, in the end...

Hello Sean, Yeah it's starting to clear not so bad needing to sit on the toilet all day, it's truly was horrible and suffered for about five weeks with it, I thought it would never end and would be a long life issue.. I don't think the nurses understood how I meant it was all day rather than hours/mins/seconds, how you getting on now then?

Sean

Right now, im doing pretty good thanks @Afraidboy . Yeh it was constant for me too. Only able to manage about an hr or so kip each time, due to being woken by the pain.
At first we thought I was constipated, so it could be sorted with laxatives. Wrong, and i paid a heavy price for loading up with all sorts of bowel loosening agents. My bowels were going ape shit and because of the heavy inflammation nothing would pass. Ended up with a tear n all sorts. Lasted nearly 3 weeks. Horrible.

Another massive mistake we made, was starting a round of chemo just as it was kicking in, therefore exaggerating the problem god knows how many times. Literally pouring gas on the fire

But at the same time, ive experienced that now, and I honestly can't imagine a pain worse'r, so im ready for whatever, ya know. Puts us in good stead. We survive!
Sitting in a luke warm bath for long periods and low residue foods helped big time.

Good luck mate! it gets better ;)