Helpline
Speak to a member of our Information Support Team
(Call-back service – 24h answer machine)

020 8973 0011

or email nurse@beatingbowelcancer.org

PLEASE NOTE THAT THE FORUM WILL CHANGE TO THE NEW CHARITY NAME, LOGO AND COLOURS FROM FIRST AUGUST 2018

Beating Bowel Cancer Community

Younger people with bowel cancer

at2017

New here!

Hi guys
I'm new here, I'm awaiting a biopsy to see what's what. But here's my story so far...
I'm 34, female, notice blood in poo, stomach aches, loss of appetite, no energy and a lump in left side of stomach. Have had a stool test and markers came back high, bloods showed low haemoglobin levels, an X-ray that confirms there is a lump, scans showed a lump but couldn't confirm where it was gynae or gastro, finally had MRI that confirmed 7.5cm lump in sigmoid colon. Dr suspects colon cancer, so booked me for colonoscopy and biopsy. I am seeing Consultant next week, was just wondering considering the size of the mass do you think they would operate before a colonoscopy/biopsy or still do that first. From what I've read up on 7.5 cms seems to be pretty big for the area it's in. Also what time scale am I looking at, once they know what it is do they operate quickly? Sorry for long post!!

Caraeliz24

@at2017 welcome and sorry you find yourself here! The guys are right no one will be able to answer your questions right now. All I can say from my own experience is that likely to do Colonoscopy and biopsy first unless the mass was causing a blockage or emergency. In my case the biopsy from the tumour confirmed it was cancer and due to nature of tumour and the extent/staging - I had chemotherapy first whilst surgery was scheduled.
Hope that you manage to get sometimes answers, fingers crossed that you get the best possibly outcome. :x::x:

Lawsey

And welcome from me. I would say biopsy and colonoscopy for diagnostic purposes first. But if you experience extreme pain
/excessive bleeding go to A&E this forum will support you each step of the way :x::x::x:

1234annie

Hi There! I was diagnosed in April at 35 with colon cancer. My tumor was 4.5cm big and I had my op two weeks after it being diagnosed. If your having surgury they will get it out quickly. Some people have chemo first to shrink it for surgury but it depends on location too and how easy it is to get to. My tumor was quite high up just before the first bend so they too the tumor, stent (that I had put in 3 days after finding it) and 41 lymphs which is a big chunk of bowel. It's a very scary time, you've come to the right place. Hugs. :x: :x: :x:

Afraidboy

Things will get moving when they have a treatment plan, keep positive and strong and take day by day things do get a little easier. :x:

at2017

Hi guys
I had an appointment with a consultant on Thursday, who said that based on the MRI they did, my symptoms and from the lump that he can feel through my stomach he is treating what I have as bowel cancer. He said in his experience he doesn't think it could be anything else.
I'm still waiting on a colonoscopy and he also wants me to have a ct scan.
He's referred me to an oncologist so things will be quicker once I get the results of biopsy.
Explained what a blockage or rupture would feel like as he thinks I'm close to it! Yay!

michael

Hiya

Yup, join the club!

Keep us updated as we've all been through this.

Stay calm and get informed, we will help - really.

Michael
:x::x::x::x:

OFJ

Hi @at2017 , I had a 7cm tumour stricturing my sigmoid and had surgery, followed by chemotherapy. Was very close to a blockage so was put on a on fibre free /low residue diet for about 6 weeks before my op while they did the scans etc. Your consultant is on the case, you are on the best site to get info and support :x::x::x:

at2017

Just out of interest, could you feel your tumour? I can feel it pushing on things and causing pain, can also feel it from the outside too. Apparently this is a rather grim party trick to make others feel!!
Xx

Quote from @OFJ:
Hi @at2017 , I had a 7cm tumour stricturing my sigmoid and had surgery, followed by chemotherapy. Was very close to a blockage so was put on a on fibre free /low residue diet for about 6 weeks before my op while they did the scans etc. Your consultant is on the case, you are on the best site to get info and support

OFJ

Lol, yes but I didn't know it was a tumour then and when I did, I didn't want to press on it in case it burst or something. I thought it might have been a fatty lump, ovarian cyst thingie. Strangely people don't even want to see my massive scar. We like to share :) :x::x:

at2017

Hosp just called, im in for colonoscopy and biopsy on Thursday eeeeeeeek

LynneW

Hope all goes well @at2017. The waiting to find out everything is the worst part of this scenario. Once you know what is happening, you will cope very well! Best of luck to you :x::x::x:

DianeS

Hope all is going well for you @at2017? :x::x::x:

Lizalou

Hi @at2017

Hope today's test goes well and that you get some news very soon. :x::x:

at2017

Morning @LynneW & @DianeS thank you for commenting, I have a ct scan today to see if it's spread, meeting with consultant on 28th to discuss results, then all being well I am being operated on on the 2nd Jan :x::x:

at2017

Thank you,
I'm really worried about the pain I'm in, I know that they don't tell you anything at a ct scan, but would they tell me if it looks like it's blocking? Xx

Quote from @Lizalou:
Hi @at2017

Hope today's test goes well and that you get some news very soon.

LynneW

Hi @at2017, they probably won’t tell you anything today, BUT I assume if there was a blockage that you would be given SWIFT treatment, if not immediately!

If you are unsure of anything ask them for their advice! Hope it all goes well. Best wishes :x::x::x:

Sally1963

Hello @at2017, just seen your posts. I had sigmoid colon problems (see my profile) but I am doing well now. Just want to wish you all the best, hope all goes well and they sort your pain out for you. :x::x::x:

DianeS

Hi @at2017 best of luck today. I had complete blockage following a scan and was in a lot of pain and was admitted straight away as an emergency. (See my profile). They will not leave a blockage. Hope all goes well, let us know how you get on. Love D :x::x::x::x:

SheliasDaughterAngela

Good luck for today, when mum had her CT scan she wasn't told anything at all that day but was after the colonoscopy the consultant sat down and talked about his findings. After the CT scan she was called back in a few days after for an ultra scan to investigate a little more what was seen on CT :x::x:

Caraeliz24

@at2017 hope all went well. They would deal with a blockage urgently and in my experience you know when you have a blockage! I was close to one when I was diagnosed and surgeon said same to me they started me on chemo and a few weeks later I was in agony I’ve never felt pain like it- tumour had blocked and perforated. Thankfully I have a great medical team!
Keeping fingers crossed for you.