Helpline
Speak to a member of our Information Support Team
(Call-back service – 24h answer machine)

020 8973 0011

or email nurse@beatingbowelcancer.org
Beating Bowel Cancer Community

Life with bowel cancer

Sophie

A million steps back and an update !

So we've had a long and stressful week!
The docs tried to clear the blockage with a liquid but unfortunately this wasn't successful! They're now going to operate tomorrow at 12! They THINK it's scar tissue as there isn't anything showing up on the scan .. only time will tell! So I'm guessing another nail biting few hours tomorrow and another recovery .. I'm assuming this is delaying chemo by at least 6 weeks .. such a bloody pain when he had only 3 sessions left! Argh .. we've done it before we can absolutely do it again! Uncle Charlie is so laid back isn't nervous and isn't in as much pain as before ! Even joked that I'll get to see my favourite surgeon who I might fancy a bit 😂💁🏼 At least now they've decided to operate we can think about getting home .. he still lives with my nan who is 94 .. they are glued at the hip so she is missing him desperately!!! Onwards and upwards !! :x::x::x:

Lizalou

Hi @Sophie
So sorry to read the latest, how frustrating and worrying for you all. But as you say, the op should finally sort out the issue. And try not to worry about the delayed chemo cycles....the ones he had will still be doing something and it is vital that he is well enough to carry on.

Best wishes and hugs to you all :x::x:

Sophie

Thank you @Lizalou xx he came out of surgery at 8pm.. they've kept him under sedation for tonight and have no idea why .. hopefully waking him up tomorrow :x::x:

Clancy

Hi@Sophie, relieved that your uncle is out of surgery. They usually keep patients under sedation so that they can fully rest , and all the monitoring goes on around them with least disruption to the patient. There is nothing worse than being woken up every half an hour . Speedy recovery.:x::x:

Margaret68

@Sophie thinking of you fingers crossed for a good recovery from this op :x::x:

DianeS

Hi @Sophie, I’ve just left a comment on your other post, and now seen your update. Wishing Charlie a good recovery, don’t worry about the sedation as it’s normal after some operations. Love D :x::x::x::x:

GD1962

Hi @Sophie

Wishing Charlie a rapid recovery :x::x::x:

Sophie

Hey everyone. Unfortunately things aren't going quite as to plan. He's in intensive care and in an induced coma. His heart rate is basically completely out of sync and they've said that this is not sustainable for life. They thought he'd had a cardiac arrest but now think it's an issue from when he was a child. They had tried something to regulate it this morning to no avail. All the family were called to his bedside. They then tried something else and he is now better than this morning. No major improvements but a little more stable. I think I'm just in total shock and can't believe this is happened for. Thank you for all your messages :x::x:

Baxter2

I’m sure you’ll all be so relieved things are looking more positive now. Hoping your uncles recovery is straightforward from now! K💛💜💚💙❤️

LABluebell

@Sophie Just sending you a massive hug. Hope this evening brings calmer waters for you and your uncle. :x::x::x:

steve707

sending big hugs to you all @Sophie, :x::x::x::x:

CalmOnTheOutside

@Sophie so sorry to see your posts, sending positive thoughts to you and your uncle :x::x::x:

Tiffany

Hi @Sophie. Just catching up with this. I'm really sorry to hear about your Uncle. I am praying for him. Tiffany :x: