Helpline
Speak to a member of our Information Support Team
(Call-back service – 24h answer machine)

020 8973 0011

or email nurse@beatingbowelcancer.org
Beating Bowel Cancer Community

New to the forum?

paulrc

New and scared

Hello.

I never thought I'd find myself posting on a forum like this. But here we are. I'm 35, and have had abdomen pain for 2 weeks, with loose stools and a tiny bit of blood. Never needed to bother a doctor in my life, but last week I went to the GP's, told them my symptoms and they said it was probably something muscular. On Tuesday this week I had a blood test, saw a different GP today and got the results and everything was fine, no anaemia or anything. She did a digital inspection, couldn't feel anything, but I've been referred for a colonoscopy - waiting for the call to come.

I'm writing this because I'm really scared and lots of things are running through my mind. I'm on my own and don't really have anywhere to turn or anyone to talk to.

Naomi6861

Hi @paulrc don't panic, it may not be BC. My husband had the same symptoms as you and was referred on the 2 week referral basis. Having gone through treatment for BC myself last year I was sure he had it. Thankfully he didn't, he actually had a very clear healthy bowel. So keep positive. One word of advice, make sure you follow the bowel prep to the letter as you want a completely clear bowel for the procedure. Good luck :x::x:

Afraidboy

Roll on Friday please

paulrc
Quote from @Afraidboy:
Roll on Friday please

I got the referral letter from the GP for my colonoscopy yesterday and it says within two weeks. The doctor at Addenbrookes says there's no way of hurrying it up.

RT54

You,ll be seen quicker than I was Paul.My GP forgot to put the referral in and after not hearing anything for 2 weeks I had to call her only to find she was on holiday! I spoke to her GP partner and she put it straight in. My GP did apologise later on..and after all what difference is 2 weeks going to make?🤔

Afraidboy
Quote from @paulrc:
I got the referral letter from the GP for my colonoscopy yesterday and it says within two weeks. The doctor at Addenbrookes says there's no way of hurrying it up.

Yeah they do take their time, I've waited ten weeks just to be told I had cancer. I just wanna beat it now.

Afraidboy
Quote from @RT54:
You,ll be seen quicker than I was Paul.My GP forgot to put the referral in and after not hearing anything for 2 weeks I had to call her only to find she was on holiday! I spoke to her GP partner and she put it straight in. My GP did apologise later on..and after all what difference is 2 weeks going to make?🤔

That's really bad and worse for you as well knowing all sorts going into your head. I just need Friday to come so that I know where I stand, hoping some good news even if it's not if you know what I mean.

chrissie

Waiting for results is awful, I've been trying to keep busy but sometimes the "what ifs" just overwhelm you. Sending a hug @ afraidboy :x::x:

LankyYankee

@paulrc I just wanted to say Howdy and add my support to you. There's no point saying...don't worry....because you clearly and understandably are going to worry. What I will say is that odds are hugely in your favour that this is not a bowel cancer. Unfortunately many different illnesses mimic the same set of symptoms of loose stool and blood including piles, irritable bowel syndrome, colitis etc. Your doctor is right to err on the side of caution and put you through for a scope as it's the only definitive test to find out what's going on. Aside from the anxiety how are you feeling now? Have your symptoms changed at all? Remember to keep your strength up and continue to eat and drink well. Don't change your diet at all until you have the scope. They need to see it as it is but can help you identify if you have food triggers to your symptoms after they have cleared you of having cancer ok. If we can be any support please don't hesitate. As you've seen we've got one heck of a friendly bunch here!nand please keep us posted! We've got everything crossed for you! :x::x:

paulrc

@LankyYankee Hi! I'm still very scared. I've had no blood in my stools for over a week, but they have been very soft (or "not formed" as the doctors describe them). Had very sharp abdomen pain in on Saturday and Monday - went to A&E on Monday afternoon and they gave me v strong laxative which perked me up. I'm trying to keep up my spirits and appetite as best I can.

paulrc

Ok so I've had a referral letter from my GP for an endoscopy, but today I've received a letter telling me I've got a CT scan on the 24th? What's going on?

daveswife

I think its to get a clear picture of whats going on inside. Better to be thorough and not neccessarily sinister. X chin up and fingers crossed for you.Anxious times.

chrissie

They are moving very quickly which is good and your not being fobbed off. It is scary I know, I'm waiting for results too but we are all in this together and help and support each other. Stay strong. @paulrc :x::x:

SheliasDaughterAngela

I am 36 I have my pre-assessmnet tomorrow and will then get my date for the colonscopy at the appointment I believe. It has been 3 weeks from my doctors referal for this appointment, however this may be as mine is deemed routine as I am being refered due to my family history with bowel cancer (mum is currently having treatment for bowel cancer and my grandmother also had bowel cancer at 41), I know how worrying it is and the waiting is just horrible, however it is really good that are being thorough.

paulrc
Quote from @chrissie:
They are moving very quickly which is good and your not being fobbed off. It is scary I know, I'm waiting for results too but we are all in this together and help and support each other. Stay strong. @paulrc

@Chrissee I'm trying my best :) I thought I'd be having a colonscopy next week - that's what my GP said - but the hospital now says I'm to have a CT scan instead. Will I get both? I really have no idea. My colleagues who work in this area of research tell me to make sure I get X-ray, ultrasound, and a CT scan a clearer picture can be had.

chrissie

Is it a normal CT or a CT colonograph, I had the colonograph one first which showed a thickening in the descending colon but the sigmoidoscopy couldn't get past the sigmoid colon to where the thickening is. I then had a CT scan that I will have the results for on Tuesday. It's all the waiting for one test after another that everyone on here says is one of the worst times. Thinking of you &paulrc

paulrc

@Chrissee the letter says "CT Abdomen Pelvis With Contrast".

I'm a physicist so currently trying to distract myself by reading about the basics of CT imaging! :D

chrissie

That's what I had last week, just be aware the contrast agent makes you feel as if you've wet yourself 😳At least you have some knowledge of science my degree was in law in that was nearly 25 years ago and I work in Housing Benefits now so not much help in the situation I've found myself. I am finding it very difficult keeping away from Dr Google but this site is brilliant always someone who has been through everything. Take care @paulrc :x::x:

CalmOnTheOutside
Quote from @paulrc:

I'm a physicist so currently trying to distract myself by reading about the basics of CT imaging!

Hi Paul - sorry that you find yourself here, just wanted to say as a fellow sciency person I found there is a lot to be gained in feeling a bit more in control by understanding the science behind some of this. The contrast medium just seems to be bunch of stuff higher up the periodic table that aids differentiation in the soft X-ray images used.

In the meantime, I'm learning a lot more about metabolic pathways behind cell reproduction than I ever knew. It distracts me, at least. Better even that the signal analysis that underlies CT scans is the technology behind PET scans, if you haven't got to those yet :)

Hope you're doing ok today,
Clive

chris61
Quote from @paulrc:
I'm a physicist so currently trying to distract myself by reading about the basics of CT imaging!

Hi Paul, This was the scan I had in July. I returned from 2 weeks holiday to find a flurry of letters and phone messages from from the surgery and Health Trust about it, which was more than a little disconcerting. I also needed to have blood tests done before the CT scan as well so, if you've not been told you need these done too, it would be worth checking, as I was told the CT scan could not go ahead unless they had the blood results.

I found the scan very straightforward (no worse than an x-ray) and far from uncomfortable; certainly far less unnerving and claustrophobic than MRI scans I'd had in the past. Yes you have to drink a lot of water beforehand and may get some odd sensations from the contrast injection; the nurse told me about the wetting sensation but also that I'd feel like the 'glowing Ready-Brek boy'. And yes, I did! I was told nothing on the day but called for a general outpatient appointment about 10 days later when the situation regarding the cancer was explained. However, the scan also threw up a couple of other issues with me, one being a cardiac related issue, so thy are not just looking at your bowels. Thinking of you and hope all goes smoothly.

Gill

HI Paul. I've had colonoscopy and gastroscopy at the same time (well not exactly the same time. The worst thing about the colonoscopy is the moviprep that you take the day before to clear your bowels out. Don't move far from the toilet! The colonoscopy itself didn't hurt and yes you can watch the screen, which I found very interesting. Obviously if they find anything you will see it. In my case it was a foregone conclusion as I had already had liver lesions identified whilst looking for gallstones on an Ultrasound Scan. The worst bit about the gastroscopy, which looks at the top end of the gastric passage, was getting it past the gag reflex, that was 'uncomfortable'! Good luck with your investigations. CT scan is a doddle!