Helpline
Speak to a member of our Information Support Team
(Call-back service – 24h answer machine)

020 8973 0011

or email nurse@beatingbowelcancer.org
Beating Bowel Cancer Community

Life with bowel cancer

Annette 7

Stoma reversal

I had my Stoma reversed just over two weeks ago, any advice and food suggestions would be much appreciated.

Baxter2

Hi @Annette 7

Well done you and hope you're now well on the road to recovery! I don't have experience of having a stoma but I'm sure there will be others along who have and can share some tips with you. In addition to the factsheets and booklets, perhaps also try the search spyglass at top right of page to search for keywords and you'll hopefully find some previous posts pertaining to your query. Sending lots of good wishes for your continued recovery, K 💜💛💚💙❤️

Sparkles

Hi @Annette 7 I will probably be no help at all (were all different) i was constipated the first week after my Op but i think my sluggish bowels have done me a favour because 6 weeks on, i eat what i want, infact i often have 2 veg at meal time, lots of fruit just to keep me regular, i think its trial and error. Choose a day when you dont have to be anywhere and experiment with different foods 😊 :x::x:

Terrish

I was the same as @Sparkles and had constipation the first few weeks and lots of trapped wind. But once everything got going, I now find eggs for breakfast keep everything in order and I avoid gluten where possible - I am not gluten free but certainly gluten low. It works for me but I think it is mostly trial and error!

Annette 7

Thank you that is so encouraging to hear after just six weeks!

Quote from @Sparkles:
Hi @Annette 7 I will probably be no help at all (were all different) i was constipated the first week after my Op but i think my sluggish bowels have done me a favour because 6 weeks on, i eat what i want, infact i often have 2 veg at meal time, lots of fruit just to keep me regular, i think its trial and error. Choose a day when you dont have to be anywhere and experiment with different foods 😊

Annette 7

Thank you, I am gluten intolerant so am finding my diet so boring. If I eat anything that is not on my list of foods to start with I live on the toilet. I know it is still early days and I must be patient.]Quote from @Terrish:
I was the same as @Sparkles and had constipation the first few weeks and lots of trapped wind. But once everything got going, I now find eggs for breakfast keep everything in order and I avoid gluten where possible - I am not gluten free but certainly gluten low. It works for me but I think it is mostly trial and error![/quote]

Annette 7
Quote from @Baxter2:Thank you for your advice.
Hi @Annette 7

Well done you and hope you're now well on the road to recovery! I don't have experience of having a stoma but I'm sure there will be others along who have and can share some tips with you. In addition to the factsheets and booklets, perhaps also try the search spyglass at top right of page to search for keywords and you'll hopefully find some previous posts pertaining to your query. Sending lots of good wishes for your continued recovery, K 💜💛💚💙❤️

Quote from @Baxter2:
Hi @Annette 7

Annette 7
Quote from @Sparkles:
Hi @Annette 7 I will probably be no help at all (were all different) i was constipated the first week after my Op but i think my sluggish bowels have done me a favour because 6 weeks on, i eat what i want, infact i often have 2 veg at meal time, lots of fruit just to keep me regular, i think its trial and error. Choose a day when you dont have to be anywhere and experiment with different foods 😊

Am having a real problem with piles, any advice?

Sparkles

Hi @Annette 7 The only advice ive got is warm baths and pile cream :x::x:

Annette 7

Thanks, I am using pile cream but it's not really helping, I'll have more baths!