Helpline
Speak to a member of our Information Support Team
(Call-back service – 24h answer machine)

020 8973 0011

or email nurse@beatingbowelcancer.org
Beating Bowel Cancer Community

Stage 4 bowel cancer

Highkaren

PIPAC

I know this has been mentioned before but wondered if anyone followed up with their onc and what the response was.i believe this would support peritoneal spread and want to explore the option/ cost. Don't think it's yet performed in U.K. Anyone any insight ?.

ruthy

Hi @Highkaren . I have recently been referred to Basingstoke for Hipec, and I was told they also do Pipac so would be considering this option for me too. It was my local/referring oncologist who said this though and she may have been mistaken.

Jaynesr

I did ask about this but was told I wouldn't be a candidate. I do plan to explore further though. It's basically like an aerosole chemo into peri I believe? :x:

HH79

Hi @ruthy hope you don't mind me sneaking in here ;) I know you've some para aortic lymph involvement as well as peri, would be interested to hear how you go with Basingstoke re hipec, I'm currently a no as they felt lymphs could pop things up elsewhere even if dealt with peri but I know all cases different depending where lymphs are and things..lots love and good luck! :x::x:

Sasa

Hi @Highkaren ,

Let us know how you get on if you ask your onc, - they've said that Mark can't have any treatment for peri mets as he also has liver mets. Still things move all the time and it'd be good to have the info.

Thanks for sharing

Sarah :x:

GD1962

Hi @Highkaren

Has Mark had a second opinion. I too have peritoneal and liver mets and Christies agreed to review me for CRS and HIPEC after chemo finishes in October. Good luck :x:

Baxter2

@GD1962 and @Sasa, it's also worth adding that I had surgery for peritoneal and liver mets at Basingstoke. I think it depended on the extent of peritoneal spread and liver mets. K 💜💛💚💙❤️

Sasa

No second opinions as yet, but there is a leading 'liver mets from bowel cancer' surgeon in Liverpool who we have up our sleeves, and will definitely be on the lookout for other options re peri mets, as Marks onc said that they will only look at them if the liver mets are also treatable.

Scan looming in a couple of weeks after round 12 😳

Highkaren

I got a reply from the German clinic I wrote to re pipac @ruthy @Sasa @Jeyneser

Currently there are no active PIPAC centers in the UK but I have information that the University Hospital of Wales in Cardiff is preparing a PIPAC project at the moment. Below you'll find the contact details of Professor Jared Torkington who is involved in this project.

Professor Jared Torkington
Consultant Colorectal Surgeon

Assistant Medical Director Innovation
Cardiff Clinical Innovation Partnership

University Hospital of Wales, Cardiff
Cardiff University - Cardiff School of Medicine

Correspondence:
Department of Surgery
Cardiff and Vale University Health Board
University Hospital of Wales
Heath Park
CARDIFF
CF14 4XW

Sec: 029 2074 5148
Kathryn.hearne@wales.nhs.uk

I asked about the European destinations and they advised, France,Denmark and Germany are net east but need to contact re costs. I'm going to speak to oncologist tomorrow.

Also saw this in the news today re Cardiff research...interesting

www.itv.com/...hrough-in-bowel-cancer-treatment/

Sasa

Thanks @Highkaren,

I think that European treatment seems to be streets ahead of what we offer in the UK. They also advocate complimentary therapies which doesn't happen here. They don't have the Cancer Act there 🙄

Thanks for the link, looks very interesting..... nice to know there are advances made.

Mum37

Thank you @Highkaren for the link. I haven't heard about this procedure before I read your post and am hoping that it may help me as I have peritoneal mets that my oncologist say are untreatable but have got a second opinion that suggested I should try 2nd line chemo. :x:

GD1962

Hello @Highkaren

You and @Baxter2 have done a great job researching this PIPAC topic and I'm certain that many are grateful. Thank you :x::x::x:

Baxter2

It certainly looks interesting @GD1962 I think it might have been @Jaynesr who highlighted it on here? Hope you're having a good day K 💜💛💚💙❤️

GD1962

Hi Baxter2

Yes I'm recovering from cycle 4 capox, and my partner has been great looking after me as a nurse he is very caring and off to work this morning. I'm having the morning off and taking Ben and Molly our two shelties for a little walk.

Back to work Monday, as I said before off for scans on Oct 9th, not panicked as I have decided what will be will be and deal with it when it comes up and trust in medics and the other.

October will be a lot of reckoning how treatment plan or potential surgery progresses. Anyway you keep well and take care :x::x::x:

Baxter2

Glad you're resting up and recovering @GD1962 and a wee walk with your lovely dogs will do you good I'm sure! It's nice and sunny up here but cool. I have my chemo next wed so got that to look forward to 😉 I know exactly what you mean about the scan coming up. I often go from accepting of what will be will be to sheer utter panic thinking about my demise! Im very aware that you will be hoping for good results and a possibility of CRS and HIPEC. I've been there too! I have a PET scan after my holiday but I'm hoping to have my head firmly buried in the sand until then! What else can we do? Have a good day! Karen 💜💛💚💙❤️

Highkaren

Hi @Jaynesr, did they say why you wouldn't be a candidate.??? @ruthy I couldn't see anywhere in the uk performing this so interested if Basingstoke is..let me know I have received a reply from Denmark who offer this and who have offered to look at my case and scans and provide an opinion as they think I could be a candidate .i intend to seek some from Germany where I believe it was pioneered and will also be writing to the Cardiff professor to see what the criteria of their trial is....im stacking my options !!

ruthy

I'm impressed with all your research @Highkaren. I saw my oncologist today but forgot to ask about pipac from basingstoke. If you have been told nowhere in the UK does Pipac I think my oncologist may have been mistaken. I will remember to post if I hear anything about it though. Please keep us updated too.

Also @HH79 - I will let you know when I hear back from basingstoke, but that wont be for ages now. I heard today that my recent baseline CT scan didnt show any peritoneal involvement (is that the right term??), so the plan now is to finish 6 months of chemo and repeat the PET scan to see if anything is showing still on my peritoneum and everywhere else and then look at options.

HH79

Thanks @ruthy and hope the chemo isn’t too gruelling. Hate it had my IV day today, bah. Good luck thinking of you :x::x:

Jaynesr

Sorry for delay @Highkaren - I’m having a forum break 😊. Although I haven’t fully investigated, I believe criteria for pipac same as hipec and so I wouldn’t be considered currently due to liver, lung and peri mets - too numerous to be surgically treatable. For me, chemo works 🤞, so for now we stick with what works. That may change of course. Am interested in developments of course... 💪🏼🤞:x: